Saturday, July 16, 2011

The wonders of spray paint and {winner announced}!

we have some exciting news here at sugartot designs . . . a new contributor!!
let me introduce you to sarah roberts . . . aka, my long lost sister.
here we are with our almost 2 year olds and almost newborns (she has girls, i have boys)
the similarities between are us are almost scary (and i am not just talking about the red hair).
sarah is the one who gave me the courage to just go for it when it comes to painting and DIY projects. she is a master at it and has her own mini "lowe's" in her house complete with every color paint you will ever need. i always ask her advice before starting anything and not sure what i would do without her expertise.
so now that you know a little about sarah, here is a little peak into her world of spray paint . . .

HI! so excited to be posting today about my favorite hobby, paint. During naptime, i'll run outside with a can of spray paint and something from around the house that needs a splash of color to get a quick fix. It's painting without the brush, the mess, the stirring, rinsing and those horrible rollers. I know, I know... you need them for whole-wall revamping (btw-i never, ever reuse them. it's a pain and they don't work well after that first time). Here are a few of my latest "quick fixes" from naptime- hopefully they'll stir up some ideas for your house...


Okay, this lamp was awful. sorry, i couldn't bear to hold my camera up to it "before". yep, that bad. Gold with black flecks. ugh- straight from 1985, but I loved the shape. So I used one- yes, one- coat of high gloss white and a clearance shade from target. voila! you'd never know that I got it in the free bin at a yard sale.















Fireplace tool rack. Gas Fireplace. Ha! I ditched the tools (not so great with toddlers anyways and it's perfect for umbrellas). This should really be a trash to treasure post, but anyways, this took about two coats of a very eclectic blue. I wanted a color that you would never see on a fireplace tool set.


Before, and After. This chandelier was in the "donate" pile until I decided that changing it from hard-wired to a plug wasn't as hard as it looked. And of COURSE, it needed a fresh coat of spray paint! I kept all of the doodads on it while i sprayed it- it helped keep track of things. However, if you like to take things apart to clean them, take the doodads off first. They are stuck for good otherwise.















Ahhh. so fresh and clean... and check out that toggle switch and plug!















you know that ugly patio furniture that EVERYONE has... it's white, plastic and less than appealing? not anymore!! Yep, you can spray plastic, glass, fabric, wood, metal and stone... and occasionally your fingers. you no longer need a plastic primer, many paint companies have come out with spray paint that will stick to plastic... Hooray!
I saved the best for last. I'm not really into the jungle look at my house, so these brown elephants either needed a makeover or had to go. They're now in our bedroom, but I still haven't found shades worthy enough of their pinkness. :) Now go and turn something drab to fab!











and now the winner of a free invitation from sugartot designs the shop:


True Random Number Generator  14Powered by RANDOM.ORG

Comment #14 - Amy said...




Gave you a shout out on Facebook!
congrats amy! i will e-mail you your gift card!


linking up to these parties:


3 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog and those PINK ELEPHANTS! Wanna trade somthin'...
    I am hosting a party today if you have anything you would like to barter with other bloggers!
    Come by and check it out and see if anything catches your eye-Free Shopping (except for a little shipping)!

    http://www.frugaliciousme.com/2011/07/barter-bazaar.html

    XOXO,
    Tasha

    www.frugaliciousme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I just did this with my candlesticks! Come see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love spray paint - especially those elephants! What a great color choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, we love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...